Thursday, July 20, 2006

MUSICAL RAMBLINGS ENDORSES NEW CHARITY OF CHOICE

After some thought, I've decided to drop the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation as this blog's official charity. It came down to a personal decision. Lately the JDRF has become a little more political than I'd like, and they've been lobbying for the passage of H.R. 810, the House resolution involving embryonic stem cell research that was recently vetoed by President Bush. I wanted to do my best to support the JDRF, but I couldn't in good conscience go along with them on this issue. I have a moral opposition to ESCR, and I don't wish for a human embryo to have to be destroyed to find a cure for my illness.

I don't want to get involved in any discussions about it here, so if you want to argue with me about stem cell research, please don't, because that's not what this blog is about. I know that others will feel differently about this, and I respect that, and I hope you will all respect my feelings about it, as well as our respective rights to support whichever organizations we choose.

In lieu of support of JDRF, I have decided to adopt the National Exchange Club Foundation as this blog's official charity of choice. In all honesty, I should have picked them before, as I'm intimately familiar with their operations. I was a domestic violence and anger management instructor in one of their centers. The work that the Exchange Club does with abused children and abuse prevention is quite good. When I worked with the court mandated anger management courses, I know that we made a difference.

Child abuse is a problem that happens every day. The victims have very little voice. The crimes so often go unprosecuted. And the victims often don't get the help they need. Please consider donating to them, and check out their site to see if there are any centers near you that could use volunteers.

Thanks for your understanding, and I hope you'll continue to support the Exchange Club as well as other charities of your choice.

5 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Spike speaks said...

JD - I admire the fact that you follow your conscious. As a Christian I hold the same views as you do regarding stem-cell research. Thanks for your post!
Spike

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger J.D. said...

Well, you can certainly feel free to comment about your own feelings. I just didn't want to have a big ol' debate here in this forum.

My whole point was that I wished to respect EVERYONE'S beliefs, which I thought I made clear.

The reason why I mentioned it is because people have taken note of my support for the JDRF on other forums, and I felt like I needed to explain why I was dropping out of their camp. Also, I wanted to introduce the new one, encourage people to get involved in it, and so on and so forth. Plus, as you said...my blog, my statements...y'know...

I knew there'd be people who disagree with me. I fully expected Kristin to, and she did, but the beauty of it is that we can still be friends and fans of each others' style without totally agreeing on everything. And who knows, maybe one day we'll learn something from each other that we didn't know before.

Ali, all I can say is that it makes me very sad that something this inconsequential to everything else I write about on this blog would make you move on, but having said that, I respect your choice and bid you adieu in hopes that you won't stay gone too long.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Georgia Writer said...

I'm proud of you for, once again, being able to voice your opinion jd. That's what makes me like reading your blog so much. I think it's great that you're supporting a charity, any charity, and your reasons for switching are just that--your reasons--thank you for introducing us all to a new charity and enlightening us all with your thoughts and opinions :) I am always eager to find out what you think on topics--even (and this is rare) when you and I disagree.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"as a christian" (to quote an earlier comment) I DO believe in stem-cell research ... i wish people would stop waging battles of social morality on behalf of "christians" ...

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger J.D. said...

As is your right. So do go on and create a blog and adopt your own charity and run drives for it and donate to it.

Not waging war...just making a personal choice. Meanwhile, this is my blog, and I'll run it as I see fit, and I'll support the charity of my choice as I see fit.

Not that that will matter to those of you who are just here to pick a fight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home