Thursday, March 16, 2006

80'S SONGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

Roxie Mae and I have been trying to help our friend Hannah over at the Candace Cameron forums to get cultured in 1980's music. We've had some success, but since Hannah's only 13, we've had to work a bit harder to introduce her to the music that defined our childhoods, so what I've worked up here is a list of songs that everyone should know to familiarize themselves with the 80's. These songs defined a decade and the genre they were a part of.

38 Special - Hold On Loosely
AC/DC - For Those About to Rock
Adam Ant - Goody Two Shoes
Aerosmith - Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
Air Supply - Making Love Out of Nothing At All
After 7 - Can't Stop
After the Fire - Der Kommissar
A-Ha - Take On Me
Al B. Sure - Night and Day
Alabama - Tennessee River
The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky
Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
Alice Cooper - Poison
Andy Gibb - Desire
Animotion - Obsession
Ann Wilson and Mike Reno - Almost Paradise
Aretha Franklin - Freeway of Love
Atlantic Starr - Always
Autograph - Turn Up the Radio
The B-52's - Love Shack
Babyface - It's No Crime
Bad English - When I See You Smile
Bananarama - Venus
The Bangles - Eternal Flame
The Beach Boys - Kokomo
The Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey
Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is a Place on Earth
Benny Mardones - Into the Night
Berlin - Take My Breath Away
Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes - I've Had the Time of My Life
Billy Idol - Mony Mony
Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
Billy Ocean - Get Into My Car
Billy Squier - The Stroke
Blondie - Rapture
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Shakedown
Bobby Brown - Every Little Step
Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy
Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Boston - Amanda
Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy
Boy Meets Girl - Waiting for a Star to Fall
Boz Skaggs - Jojo
Breathe - Hands to Heaven
Brenda K. Starr - I Still Believe
Bruce Hornsby and the Range - That's Just the Way It Is
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
Buckner and Garcia - Pac-Man Fever
Calloway - I Wanna Be Rich
Cameo - Word Up
Captain and Tennille - Do That to Me One More Time
The Cars - Drive
Chaka Khan - I Feel For You
Cheap Trick - The Flame
Cher - If I Could Turn Back Time
Chicago - You're the Inspiration
Chris DeBurgh - Lady in Red
Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
Christopher Cross - Arthur's Theme
Cinderella - Gypsy Road
The Clash - Rock the Casbah
Club Nouveau - Lean On Me
The Commodores - Night Shift
Corey Hart - Never Surrender
Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over
The Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
The Cure - Friday I'm in Love
Cutting Crew - I Just Died in Your Arms
Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You
David Bowie - Let's Dance
David Lee Roth - California Girls
The Dazz Band - Let It Whip
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round
DeBarge - Rhythm of the Night
Debbie Gibson - Electric Youth
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Deniece Williams - Let's Hear It For the Boy
Devo - Whip It
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
Dino - I Like It
Dionne Warwick - That's What Friends are For
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - Parents Just Don't Understand
Dokken - Slipping Away
Dolly Parton - 9 to 5
Don Henley - The End of the Innocence
Donna Summer - She Works Hard for the Money
Donny Osmond - Soldier of Love
The Doobie Brothers - The Doctor
Doug E Fresh and MC Ricky D - Lodi Dodi
Dream Academy - Life in a Northern Town
Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf
Earth Wind and Fire - Let's Groove
Eddie Money - I Wanna Go Back
Eddie Rabbitt - I Love a Rainy Night
Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue
Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians - What I Am
El DeBarge - Who's Johnny
Elton John - Club at the End of the Street
Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes
Eric Clapton - Layla
The Escape Club - Wild Wild West
Europe - The Final Countdown
The Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Expose - When I Looked at Him
The Fabulous Thunderbirds - Tuff Enuff
Faith No More - Epic
Falco - Rock Me Amadeus
Faster Pussycat - House of Pain
The Fat Boys - Wipeout
Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
Foreigner - I Want to Know What Love Is
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax
Garth Brooks - The Dance
Gary Numan - Cars
Genesis - In Too Deep
George Benson - Give Me the Night
George Clinton - Atomic Dog
George Michael and Aretha Franklin - I Knew You Were Waiting
George Thorogood and the Destroyers - Bad to the Bone
Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands to Yourself
Glenn Frey - The Heat Is On
Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine - Don't Wanna Lose You
The Go-Go's - We Got the Beat
Great White - Once Bitten Twice Shy
The Greg Kihn Band - Jeopardy
Gregory Abbott - Shake You Down
Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O Mine
Hall and Oates - Kiss On My List
Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F
Heart - Alone
Huey Lewis and the News - The Power of Love
The Human League - Human
Icehouse - Electric Blue
The Indigo Girls - Closer to Fine
INXS - New Sensation
Irene Cara - Flashdance (What a Feeling)
J. Geils Band - Centerfold
Jack Wagner - All I Need
James Brown - Living in America
Janet Jackson - Escapade
The Jeff Healey Band - Angel Eyes
Jeffrey Osborne - You Should Be Mine (The Woo Woo Song)
The Jets - Crush on You
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - I Love Rock and Roll
Jody Watley - Real Love
Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes - Up Where We Belong
John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band - On the Dark Side
John Cougar Mellencamp - R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.
John Parr - Man in Motion (St. Elmo's Fire)
John Waite - Missing You
Journey - Be Good to Yourself
Juice Newton - Angel of the Morning
Karyn White - The Way That You Love Me
Katrina and the Waves - Walking on Sunshine
KC and the Sunshine Band - Please Don't Go
Keith Sweat - I Want Her
Kenny Loggins - Footloose
Kenny Rogers and Sheena Easton - We've Got Tonight
Kentucky Headhunters - Dumas Walker
Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
Kim Wilde - You Keep Me Hangin' On
Kix - Tear Down the Walls
Kool and the Gang - Get Down On It
Kool Moe Dee - I Go to Work
Kylie Minogue - The Loco-Motion
Laura Branigan - Gloria
Level 42 - Something About You
Levert - Casanova
Limahl - The Never-Ending Story
Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville - All My Life
Lionel Richie - Hello
Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam - Head to Toe
Lita Ford - Kiss Me Deadly
Los Lobos - La Bamba
Lou Gramm - Midnight Blue
Loverboy - Working for the Weekend
Luther Vandross - Here and Now
Madonna - Crazy for You
The Manhattans - You Are My Shining Star
Martika - Toy Soldiers
Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride
M.C. Hammer - Let's Get It Started
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Melissa Manchester - You Should Hear How She Talks About You
Men at Work - Who Can It Be Now
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
Michael Bolton - When I'm Back on My Feet Again
Michael Damian - Rock On
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Michael Sembello - Maniac
Mike and the Mechanics - The Living Years
The Motels - Only the Lonely
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
Mr. Mister - Kyrie
Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok
Musical Youth - Pass the Dutchie
Naked Eyes - Always Something There to Remind Me
Natalie Cole - I Miss You Like Crazy
Neil Young - Rockin' in the Free World
Nena - 99 Luftballons
New Kids on the Block - You Got It (The Right Stuff)
Night Ranger - Sister Christian
The Noise Club - Obsessed
Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait
The Ohio Players - Love Rollercoaster
Oingo Boingo - Weird Science
Olivia Newton John - Physical
The Outfield - Your Love
Ozzy Osborne - Mama I'm Coming Home
Pat Benatar - Invincible (The Legend of Billie Jean)
Patti Austin and James Ingram - Baby Come to Me
Patti LaBelle - New Attitude
Patrick Swayze - She's Like the Wind
Paul Carrack - Don't Shed a Tear for Me
Paul Young - Everytime You Go Away
Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl
Peabo Bryson - If Ever You're In My Arms Again
Pebbles - Mercedes Boy
The Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
Peter Cetera - Glory of Love
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
Phil Collins - Sussudio
The Pointer Sisters - Neutron Dance
Poison - Nothin' But a Good Time
The Police - Every Breath You Take
The Pretenders - Don't Get Me Wrong
Pretty Poison - Catch Me (I'm Falling)
The Primitives - Crash
Prince - 1999
The Ramones - Psycho Therapy
Ratt - Round and Round
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground
REO Speedwagon - Can't Fight This Feeling
Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting
Robbie Robb - In Time
Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me
Rod Stewart - Love Touch
Quarterflash - Harden My Heart
Queen and David Bowie - Under Pressure
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Quiet Riot - Bang Your Head (Metal Health)
Randy Travis - 1982
Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters
Ready for the World - Oh Sheila
Real Life - Send Me an Angel
R.E.M. - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Restless Heart - I'll Still Be Loving You
Rick Astley - Together Forever
Rick James - Super Freak
Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
Robbie Neville - C'est la Vie
Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible
The Romantics - Talking In Your Sleep
Ronnie Milsap - There Ain't No Gettin' Over Me
Roxette - The Look
Run DMC and Aerosmith - Walk This Way
Rush - Tom Sawyer
Sade - Smooth Operator
Samantha Fox - I Wanna Have Some Fun
Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55
Scandal featuring Patty Smyth - The Warrior
Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane
Scritti Politti - The Perfect Way
Seduction - Two to Make It Right
Shannon - Let the Music Play
Sheena Easton - Morning Train (Nine to Five)
Sheriff - When I'm With You
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me
Simply Red - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Skid Row - 18 and Life
Sly Fox - Let's Go All the Way
Smokey Robinson - One Heartbeat
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
The SOS Band - Take Your Time (Do It Right)
Spandau Ballet - True
Squeeze - Tempted
Stacey Q - Two of Hearts
Stan Bush - The Touch
Starship - We Built This City
Steely Dan - Hey Nineteen
The Steve Miller Band - Abracadabra
Steve Perry - Oh Sherrie
Steve Winwood - Higher Love
Stevie B - Love and Emotion
Stevie Nicks - Stand Back
Stevie Wonder - I Just Called to Say I Love You
Stryper - Honestly
Styx - Mr. Roboto
The Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight
Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
Suzanne Vega - Luka
The System - Don't Disturb This Groove
T'Pau - Heart and Soul
Taco - Putting on the Ritz
Talk Talk - It's My Life
Talking Heads - Burning Down the House
Taylor Dayne - I'll Be Your Shelter
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Teena Marie - Lover Girl
Terence Trent D'Arby - Wishing Well
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science
The Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
Timbuk 3 - The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
Timex Social Club - Rumors
Tina Turner - The Best
Todd Rundgren - Bang the Drum All Day
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Free Fallin'
The Tom Tom Club - Genius of Love
Tommy Tutone - 867-5309 Jenny
Toni Basil - Mickey
Toto - Africa
Tracey Ullman - They Don't Know About Us
Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
Tyler Collins - Girls Nite Out
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
U2 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
USA for Africa - We Are the World
U.T.F.O. - The Real Roxanne
Van Halen - Jump
The Vapors - Turning Japanese
Vixen - Cryin'
The Waitresses - I Know What Boys Like
Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight
Was (Not Was) - Walk the Dinosaur
Waterfront - Cry
Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson - Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys
The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men
Wham - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
The Whispers - Rock Steady
White Lion - When the Children Cry
Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias - To All the Girls We've Loved Before
Winger - Headed for a Heartbreak
Yello - Oh Yeah
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart
Young MC - Bust a Move
Zapp - You Dropped a Bomb On Me
ZZ Top - Legs


And there you have it. If you guys can think of any important songs that I didn't put on this list, I'm sure Hannah would be better educated if you left your picks in a comment!

11 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty awesome! You did a great job!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

OH! You are the BEST!!!

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Mack Collier said...

Here's my additions:

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio
Kajagoogoo(sp) - Too Shy
Slade - Runaway
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kiss Them For Me

Looks like you were just listing 1 song per artist so I won't add duplicates. Otherwise great list, you already had most of the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger J.D. said...

Ack, I don't know how I left Kajagoogoo off!

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I cry, "best" because I was a teen in the 80's and many of those songs have great memories attached to them... Barney or no, I was happy to think of them today!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger J.D. said...

I felt the same way last night when I was making the list. I would stop and hum the words, then think of something. Good times!

Oh, and that Barney thing...I don't know where Hannah Banana Fo Fanna Me My Mo Mannah picked that one up.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Michael said...

WOW .. I guess that means im way old JD. I didnt count the number of songs here, on your list but going thru it I counted 128 songs that I could at least mouth a line or two from or I would know the entire lyrics. Since I listen to an oldies station a lot, I was really taken aback that these songs were 36 years old. I mean the albums, 8-tracks, cassettes, and CD's still sound like they were made yesterday. I think it is nice that you are giving a young lady a taste of what real music was all about. I guess I have to give an old fuddy-duddy disk jockey his due..HUH????

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Lauren said...

Wow, this is such an incredibly comprehensive list, I didn't think I'd be able to find any on my iPod you don't already have listed, but here's a few:
The Kinks - Come Dancing
Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut
When In Rome - The Promise

Naturally, this list will have me downloading the rest of the night - I'd die before I'd have an incomplete list of 80s hits! Thanks, JD!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Daphne Supergirl said...

Fabulous list! Might I also suggest:

ABC - Be Near Me
Depeche Mode - People Are People
Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers - Islands in a Stream
English Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom
Erasure - A Little Respect
The Fixx - One Thing Leads to Another
General Public - Tenderness
Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out
Howard Jones - Everlasting Love
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
OMD - If You Leave
Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way
Roxy Music - More Than This
The Smiths - This Charming Man
Split Enz - I Got You
Til Tuesday - Voices Carry
Ultravox - Dancing with Tears in My Eyes
Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi J.D. I've enjoyed your American Idol posts and just came across this list. It's an excellent list of essential songs, though I could add another 100 songs to the list. Here are some more 80's songs:

The Look of Love by ABC
Mama Used To Say by Junior
More Than This by Roxy Music
I Made It Through the Rain by Barry Manilow
My Ever Changing Moods by the Style Council
White Lines by Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel
Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac
Call Me by Go West
Turn Back the Clock by Johnny Hates Jazz
Save It For Later by the English Beat
Love Song by the Cure

I have to point out that the song "Friday I'm In Love" by the Cure didn't come out until 1992, so technically it's not an 80's song.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Good list of 80s songs. I may add some to my 80s list. I'm always trying to remember all of them :)

80s Music

 

Post a Comment

<< Home