Thursday, July 27, 2006

CASEY KASEM'S TOP 40

XM Radio hits one out of the park next month. I know, I know, I've been singing their praises since the beginning of this blog, but today I learned that they're bringing back my all-time favorite Sunday afternoon radio show: American Top 40 with Casey Kasem.

Yes, I know the show is still on the air and hosted by Ryan Seacrest. But I grew up on Casey's voice, the cheesy long distance request and dedications, and the whole nine yards. I ran out of church every Sunday so I could hear the countdown and find out who was at number one. Casey's part of the reason I went into broadcasting. The re-broadcasting of these classic radio shows is cause to celebrate for me.

AT40 with Casey Kasem will air every Sunday at noon eastern on XM channel 8, the 80's, and also on channel 7, the 70's. On Friday, August 4, XM will be running a Casey's Top 40 marathon all day long.

So to commemorate the occasion, I'm asking you readers to post your Top 10 favorite songs in the comments!

5 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger RC said...

yikes...that's a hard request...top 10 songs fo all time!!!

i don't think i've ever seen a picture of Casey before...he kind of looks like Tony Shaloub to me.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger J.D. said...

I think he and Tony Shaloub are of similar ethnic descent.

I didn't know what Casey looked like for a long time. All I knew was he was Shaggy on Scooby-Doo and Cliffjumper on Transformers.

Then I saw a pic of him when he quit Transformers because of the cartoon's depiction of Arabic people. I had no idea he was of Middle Eastern heritage. Not that it matters...he's still one of my favorite all-time broadcasters.

Okay, I'll get the ball rolling, although I can't altogether guarantee these are accurate as my favorites.

10. "Take On Me" by A-ha
9. "In the Light" by Full Blown Rose
8. "Secret" by Heart
7. "I Still Believe" by Jeremy Camp
6. "Psychotron" by Megadeth
5. "Savin' Me" by Nickelback
4. "Nuthin' But a G Thang" by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg
3. "This DJ" by Warren G
2. "Paradise City" by Guns N Roses
1. "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor

Those are some of my favorites. Maybe not THE favorites, but definitely songs I love.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...


In No Order...
Can't think of much...

Heaven - DJ sammy & DO
Superman - Five for Fighting
Straight Up - Paula Abdul
Blue Clear Sky - George Strait
Happy Ending - Avril Lavigne
Since U Been - Kelly Clarkson
Tomorrow Nvr Dies - Sheryl Crow
Can't Touch this - Hammer

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Georgia Writer said...

Seriously, that's a reason to subscribe to XM radio...to hear Casey again? Man, I'm right there with you JD...used to come home from Sunday School every week to hear the top 40!

So here goes...mind you, this is an ever changing list...
1. Fast Car--Tracy Chapman
2. Beast of Burden--The Rolling Stones
3. Amie--Pure Prairie League
4. A Little Less Conversation--Elvis
5. Mama, I'm Coming Home-Ozzy
6. Wicked Game--Chris Isaak
7. Black Horse and a Cherry Tree-KT Tunstall
8. Quando, Quando, Quando--Michael Buble
9. The Great Beyond-REM
10. Suspicious Minds--Elvis

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I too used to tune into American Top 40 with Casey Kasem after church! I had totally forgotten about it until now! Thank you, JD, for the blast from the past! Here are 10 songs I like a lot.

10. "Three Little Birds" Bob Marley
9. "Sugar Magnolia" The Grateful Dead
8. "Next is the E" Moby
7. "Higher State of Consciousness" Josh Wink
6. "Fast as You Can" Fiona Apple
5. "Criminal" Fiona Apple
4. "War Pigs" Black Sabbath
3. "Time to Build" The Beastie Boys
2. "Purple Rain" Prince
1. "Rocket Queen" Guns N' Roses

Various and sundry doesn't even begin to describe my taste in music... LOL...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home