Friday, June 02, 2006

FRIENDS ARE FRIENDS FOREVER

(with a picture of my non-blogger friend Brooke Barrettsmith, for no other reason than she's wonderful and nice to look at too.)

I don't know that I realized just what I was getting into when I started blogging. I guess I just thought at first I'd have this blog that probably nobody would read. It would be something to play around with, show my friends, and not really do much of anything else with.

Hoo boy, was I wrong...

Never in my life did I think that I would feel like something was missing if I didn't post once a day to the blog. Never did I think I would actually give a crap what the content of what I wrote was, or whether anybody wanted to read it.

And most of all, never did I think that I would be surrounding myself with a community of friends.

I just wanted to take a moment to tip my hat to those of you out there who deserve it, and to thank each of you as a group for being friends to me and helping me through some difficult times, even when you didn't know you were doing it.

I'll start with the Journal Writers Group:

Lian, Rhino, and Sojourning, you're all fairly new to this blog, but I've enjoyed your comments, and I enjoy reading your random thoughts on your blogs.

Brownsoul, I love reading your stuff, and I am sooooo glad you decided not to quit.

Hannah, ever since I met you on the CCB boards and got you into this blogging thing, you've become a great friend, almost like a little sister. You keep me young, and I enjoy chatting with ya and educating you on what the 80's were like. And I promise, Kellie and I will double date with you and Will.

Bad Kitty, you're a breath of fresh air. I always find your blogging to be fun to read. I like to check it out while I'm having my dinner (and yes, I eat at my keyboard a lot.)

Marketing Bloggers:

Ryan, Chris, Jordan, and Mack, I think we've created a "community" of our own. Mack, one of the best bloggers I know, has provided me with some of the most challenges here, as I struggle to be half the blogger he is, and I have enjoyed the synergy between us and the resulting friendship.

Ann, I still say you're my new blogger crush, but I also enjoy your stuff.

Infobloggers:

Michael C, you've been a reader here since the beginning, and your posts are always fun and informative. I've enjoyed the synergy between our blogs throughout the past months.

Curtis, what can I say about you, man? You're a man of firm, respectable beliefs. And the fact that two completely unrelated bloggers like us can lean on each other for words of wisdom in times of personal trials is just amazing to me. Thanks for being who you are, and keep your head up.

Humor Bloggers:

I've drawn so much inspiration from you guys. David, thanks for giving us blogging addicts a place to go and admit to our addictions, as well as laugh at them.

Chewy, all I can say is "I have a bad feeling about this."

Jaynie, wow, my sides hurt after reading you.

Dave, you're a constant inspiration, and I am not making that up.

Hulk SMASH!!

Bathroom Hippo, you have one of the most hilarious, original blogs out there. I invariably snort out loud when I visit. And I'm honored that your readers voted my blog into your link list!

Music Bloggers:

To Paper Bag: HASTANG RULES!

DanceWriter, I hope someday we'll get down there to one of those music parties! Sounds like a good time. I've enjoyed reading your blog, because you are occasionally off-the-wall, occasionally introspective, but always interesting!

American Idol Bloggers:

Cathy, we've agreed and disagreed this year, but wasn't it all fun?

RealityMaven, your recaps/movie comparisons are nothing short of genius.

M.J., good grief woman, you have done a much better A.I. blog than I could have ever dreamed of. How do you do it?

Kat, I've enjoyed our conversations on and off this blog. You're too awesome!

Kieran, between you and me, alt.tv.american-idol has never had two better writers. Thanks for challenging me this year.

Mike, you're weird, crazy, and all kinds of other stuff, but you have made for some interesting conversations this year, and I am glad that you and I have gotten to know each other. I can't wait to see how green you'll be if I actually go out with Kellie P!!

In a Group All of Her Own:

Julie, you held a special place in my heart LONG before there even were such things as blogs. I really love it when we bounce our writing off each other, critique each others' stuff, and challenge each other. I definitely enjoy our long chats about life, love, and the universe. Who'd have ever guessed back then that we'd ever have kept in touch and meant so much to each other. Even though our lives have taken very different paths from where we were when we first met, I am glad that we have remained friends.

And last but not least, the Mommy Bloggers:

Kristin, you are at times hilarious, at times touching, and at times vulnerable. You write so well, and even though our styles are a little different (read: more or less working blue) I can't stay away from your blog. Thanks also for the sweet notes to the side. We won't tell Hugh, k?

Stacy, we've agreed, we've disagreed, we've agreed to disagree, but you always bring on the intellectual challenge. And comparing notes on A.I. has been fun.

Tori, I didn't think it was possible for anyone to be crazier than Kristin, but you take the cake (and then throw it in someone's face.) Love your stuff!

KytiKat, you're new to this blog too, but I have definitely enjoyed reading your blog.

Lisa, I didn't know if this was the best place to put you, but I just wanted you to know that I have enjoyed your contributions to my blog, and I have enjoyed interacting with you on yours and other blogs.


If there are any of you that I've left out, I do truly apologize. Again, I thank you all so much for the energy I get from interacting with each of you. If it weren't for you, I'd never keep doing this. And I hope ALL of you will let me know if and when I can help you.

COMING UP: I leave for the Reality TV Convention early tomorrow morning. I don't know if I'll be able to post until I get back or not, but look for me to have lots of info! I can't wait!

17 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Mack Collier said...

Yepm it's an addiction ain't it man? You've got a great community going here for yourself, and I'm glad I decided to do a search for 'Reunion' about 7 months ago, and found Musicial Ramblings ;)

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post - thanks for the kind words, and thanks for all the great work you do. I know at least several of my friends are "silent" readers of yours - those who read regularly but don't always participate in the comments. Your posts make people's days.

I hope you're taking lots of pictures at the convention and have a story or two to tell when you get back.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...


If you're not married...

you got to be all up onz her.

If you are married...send her my way.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Georgia Writer said...

awwww. thanks sweetie! hmmm...we've stayed in touch from Florida to Texas to Maryland to New York and now...on to Colorado. Keep writing jd and I promise i will too.

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, JD, and not just cuz you mentioned me in the same sentence as "crush."

Sometimes this "community" we've built in Blogland feels like the Island of Misfit Toys -- we've finally found a place where we fit, even if we are Dollys that don't cry and trains with square wheels.

Come on...let's close in tight for a big group hug now.....

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Tallyflute said...

*blush*

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Michael said...

JD.

Thanks for the mention. From the sillyness of my blog, the seriousness of events in Selmer, to the Cheeseynes of American Idol, it has been one terrific year. If you get a date with old 'Icky Pickler', I wanna be able to come and tape it, and do a blog feed so all your readers can enjoy your little romp with a "contry Bumpkin". Oh if I turn green it will be from just the thought of such a wonderful, sexy, gifted woman, that Kellie is, to have to agree to a date with you, after all the horrible things you said about her.

Your blog will always be a must read. And I agree it has been fun getting to know you.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

Oh JD, you so cool. Look at you...mentioning all these folks... what a neat guy you are :)

Thanks for the nod and for a little background on each of your faves. This will help me expand my circle of friends as well.

Bloggin's definitely an interesting culture. Some folks get it and some folks SOOOOOO don't.

You're a great pal! HAVE A BLAST at the convention. Can't wait to hear all about it! Reading your blog is a very enjoyable part of my day! :)

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Drea Inspired said...

Thanks so much for the shout out!

I think part of the reason that I continue to blog even when it's not really convient is because I've formed this circle of friends...many I've never met and probably never will, but it's still good to have them. Have a great weekend! Grace and Peace!

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger :) said...

Wow, JD! What a neat idea for an entry. :) I'm proud to be placed with the mommy bloggers, by the way. It funny, I'd really like to write more about my son, but there's a part of me that's still a little skeeved by the whole thing....so we'll see. Maybe more mommy stories coming soon, after all with no more AI I've got to come up with *something*! Glad we crossed paths!! Can't wait to hear about the convention!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

JD-

Thank you!! What wonderful compliments...

I love that you, a single man without children enjoys a mommy blog now and then... and I totally know what you mean by the community and friendship to be found in blogging... it's actually such a wonderful surprise!

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger bad kitty said...

j.d.
You're too kind! Thanks for the shout-out! I'm happy to hear that I'm your dinner-time reading (I think)...you've just inspired me to come up with a gross-out story. Oh, wait, then I'd go from being dinner-time reading to toilet-time reading. Hmmm. Food for thought (pun intended).

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger rhinoceros said...

Cheers for that

Wr

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Lian said...

Yo, J.D.! You're welcome. ^_~ But I should say thank you, too! ^_^ You're a really great guy with great talents so keep it up! We're behind you all the way.

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention JD! I found your blog through your AI recaps this year... *S* love it! Now it's in my RSS feed.... *S*

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Jordan Behan said...

Thanks for the mention, JD.

I'm incredibly proud and honored that you find my stuff worth reading.

I guess I'm a little late on my comment here, since I was away. Watch for a slideshow of my fishing trip coming soon!

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger PezKat said...

Ditto on the "Aww, thanks!!" :-) As Stacy said, some people definitely don't get it, but for those of us who do, there are friendships to be made - and they usually sneak up on you! So thanks from me to MJ too since she's how I found you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home