Thursday, January 18, 2007

On the Negativity...

I've gotten a couple of notes asking me the same question. "J.D., you said you'd go easier on the Idols this year. You said you wouldn't make fun of people. What happened to what you said about Kellie Pickler and Mikalah, and everyone else?"

Here's the short answer: wait.

The long answer is this. Kellie and I did have a rough go of it last year. I still feel badly about it to this day, especially since she was so sweet in responding to me last year, and particularly as I watch her do charity work, hold cancer-stricken kids in her lap, and basically give her last ounce of energy to help others out. I haven't spoken to Mikalah in a while, but I do treasure the friendship that I have with this young woman and her mother. It's a friendship that I never would have previously thought possible, because of the way that I regarded her during her stint on American Idol. I sincerely regret my words that I said about these two in particular.

HOWEVER... I refuse to suffer the fools that A.I. parades in front of us during the audition weeks. I've read post upon post on other boards that lament how Idol exploits the mentally unstable, etc. et al. First of all, "mentally unstable" my rosy red fanny. Not one of those psychos that you will see on these audition shows are genuinely mentally incapacitated. If anything, they're attention seekers, and fully cognizant of what they're doing. Half of them are actors trying to get screen time. The other half are just goofs who will watch the shows at home with their equally goofy friends just so they can laugh at how moronic they looked on TV. It's a very simple formula. It's the same reason people walk up behind the on-scene reporters during the news and make ugly faces. The problem with most of their "comedy" is that it's poorly executed, so it just comes off being rather sad.

Second, they all signed the extensive waivers, and humiliation is highlighted mightily in there. So if you go in with the intention of making a jerk out of yourself, don't get hurt if you get treated like one. These people put themselves willingly up for ridicule, and I'm all too willing to give it to them. I promise to be fair to the actually talented, but I still may turn a phrase or two. I'm certainly aware that the biggest attraction to this show is the human need to make fun of and humiliate others, but I'm going to try to rise above that this year.

Long story short, I'm going to try to be nice and yet still have you guys enjoy it.

4 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger RealityCheck said...

I thought so. You DO have me listed on your favorite blogs thing on the side.

My Seattle recap is up for now. Next week - Memphis and NYC. SHOULD be better singers there.

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very interesting point of view. And I actually do have a similar opinion. I think these people know what is coming. They have seen the show and know how it is. There are those who are legit and there are those who are just nuts.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Michael said...

JD.

Have you heard Rosie and the wrench's at the VIEW are speaking out and coming to the defense of the porr little rejected Idol hopefuls.

You be nice?? Come on now, even if both of us kinda changed our tune about Kellie Pickler about the same time and a little too late.

Your just in a position now with your blog, radio show, etc to take this all a little more serious than the rest of us.

Doggin, on the beady-eyed, overweight, no-talent, ugly people is half the fun of bloggin.

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JD, you will get no complaints from me. This is the sixth season of American Idol. By now, everyone knows the drill. If you don't want to risk being ridiculed, then you shouldn't audition. If you don't want to risk watching people being ridiculed, then you shouldn't tune in... Or read A.I. blogs for that matter.

michael, I heard what Rosie said, and I think she is a big fat hypocrite. After all, she poked fun at Donald Trump's looks (namely his hair) not too long ago.

Whatever happened to "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? I peruse celeb blogs like dlisted and Perez Hilton, and some people on those sites are suggesting that Bush Baby Boy sue for damages! Well, when I was a kid I was gawky and had glasses and got made of fun to no end. You know what? It didn't kill me. It made me stronger. What is this world -- or rather, this COUNTRY -- coming to, if people think other people have the right to SUE just because their widdle feewings get hurt?!

JD, more power to you, and to Simon, Randy, and Paula, for being some of the dwindling few who aren't afraid to call 'em like they see 'em. I for one appreciate it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home