Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Heartfelt Gratitude

I was talking with my buddy John tonight, and we were wishing each other a happy Thanksgiving. "John," I said, "just remember what it was like a year ago. None of our lives were the same. We were all in different places. Just twelve short months and all our lives are completely different. We have a lot to be thankful for." He agreed, and we discussed it for a while before wishing each other a happy Thanksgiving.

I couldn't help but continue to think about it after I got off the phone, and I went and wrote down some of the things that I'm thankful for, and I thought I'd share them with you guys.

I'm thankful for a God that loves me. Even though I don't deserve it. His love and grace have washed over me more times than I could hope to have the right to claim. Without Him, I am nothing.

I'm thankful to still be alive. A couple years back I nearly wasn't. I was within a hair's breadth of meeting my maker, laying on an examining table, dehydrated to the point where an IV was nearly impossible, mostly blind, in pain, and about to stroke out. I am so thankful to God that I've been given a second chance, and I live each day knowing that it's borrowed time, and it almost wasn't mine.

I'm thankful for my family. I thought I didn't need them for a while. I figured them to be a thorn in my flesh, but instead they have been the wings on my heart.

I'm thankful for my father. He's the finest example of a man that I could ever have had the privilege of being both my mentor and my best friend. I'd pick no other to have my back, and I'd ask no other when I needed help. I am so thankful that he is still around and that I can take advantage of even the smallest portion of his wisdom and gracefulness. If fathers are the mirrors of God, then I'm sure that my Creator loves me and cares for me.

I'm thankful for my mother. She's never had anything but my best interest at heart, even when she scolds or fusses. She's a strong, steadfast woman whose greatest glory has always been in the service of others, most notably her children. Her name is Blessed, and she truly deserves the credit for any fraction of me that might be good. She's my other best friend and my beacon.

I'm thankful for my sisters. Tab is such an inspiration. She sees what she wants, and she goes for it, odds or consequences be hanged. Rach hasn't been around much, but I'm thankful that she's achieved the success she's been looking for, and I pray for days when she'll remember us and draw closer. Sarah is my star. I'm so thankful to have her back in one piece after so long. As long as we live, nobody else will be able to call me "Bubba" but her. I am so thankful for the closeness we've cultivated over the past year.

I'm thankful for all of my close friends. We've had our tough times, but J-Stock and I have hung through it together as friends who are closer than brothers. I'm also thankful that John is still with us, even though the beast they call cancer nearly stole him from us. I'm grateful that his life has gotten back on track. There are so many other dear friends from old that I am thankful for, but I am especially thankful for all the new friends I have made this year.

I'm thankful for a new life. I have gained so much perspective this year.

I'm thankful for being able to be creative. I still can't believe that there are thousands of people out there who want to read this stupid crap I write here and other places, and I can't believe that anyone, let alone nearly 10 thousand people, would want to download my Idol Waves shows. I am humbled by each and every letter I get from you, and you guys here at Musical Ramblings and Idol Waves have helped make unbearable days survivable. God bless each and every one of you, and thank you so much for your friendship.

I'm thankful to have a better job. What can I say? I'm blessed. I'm not rich, but I'm doing well for myself, which many people are not able to say. My prayers do go out to them. Hopefully my blessings can be turned around and used to bless others.

I'm thankful for music. What a horrible world this would be without a song in my heart and on my radio.

I could go on and on with the list, but it would eventually take up the whole day, and there'd be no time left for turkey.

God bless all of you. Happy Thanksgiving.

3 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Rob said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J.D., Thanks for your message!

Wow! What great sentiments.

I am glad you have rediscovered family and friends. They are everything!

Family and friends are who help me make it from day to day.

Your words on Idol Waves and on other sites are making a difference for a lot of people. More than you know.

Thank You!

-Rob

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

Wow! this post is deep. Not what you would expect from a man. I stumled onto your blog looking for my own blog. My blog is called: I'm thankful for the thorns. When I typed mine in it came up with more than I expected and I clicked on some and began reading.

Long story short, I liked you blog and your outlook. And even though we tell ourselves no one wants to reat this stuff, I guess that isn't really true because we continue to write and people continue to read. I did.

You write quite well. Have you been published? You should be.

Again. Thanks. Your blog inspired me. Darlene

 

Post a Comment

<< Home