Tuesday, June 27, 2006

AMERICAN IDOL UPDATE: APRIL WALSH

I just got some great news from one of my favorite Idol contestants from this year. April Walsh let me know that she's landed a part in a movie. This was the message she left in the comments section of my Myspace profile:
Good news! Got a little part in a movie. It's a SAG low-budget feature. Just an indie with a nice script. I'd tried for the lead, but they thought I was young for it (I just knew I should have worn darker lipstick). But I got the teenaged part. Yay! I mean, it's not the biggest deal ever, but it's my first film. They're sending the contract to my agent. Doesn't that super professional? I'm pretty psyched.

Well, I'm super-psyched to hear about it too. She writes more about it in her blog:
Well, I finally got me a part. I'd auditioned for the lead in this movie Disfigured. It's about an overweight woman and anorexic woman pushing thirty and exploring their body image issues. I did not get the lead, but I did get a supporting role. I'll be playing Gwen- the teenaged member of the fat acceptance group (kind of like NAAFA) that the lead belongs to. It's written and directed by Glenn Gers. I liked the script a lot and I'm very excited to be part of it.

Looks like these are good people to work with. I mean, the pay won't be much. But I think it's a great and worthy project.

Yay! Soon as it's filmed, I'm gonna put that on my resume and knock off a theater line. It's almost ceremonial. Whenever something new comes along, I knock off the last line under my college section. By the way, there's now a link to my resume on my profile. Take a look if you want to.

Besides that, someone casting for Focus Features contacted me at home. Despite my dying of curiosity, I gave them my agent's info. They want a reel. The problem? Don't have one. The Idol people made me one for New Line around the Hairspray time (actual teenager got that. Shorter than me. Life goes on). I was angling for a copy. I still am. But they told me it'll be hard to find. Cross some fingers on that. Working with Focus would be awesome. They did Eternal Sunshine (which I loved) and Pride and Prejudice (which I'd have loved if I'd never been exposed to the perfection that was the BBC P&P).

In less than stellar news, I'm doing graveyard at Denny's. Why? It's flexible and it's just for the summer. I need full-time pay that I can get while keeping my days free... well, except for those hours when I just might sleep (right).

There's more info about her movie here.

I wish April luck with her new movie, and I hope it leads to more work! Keep us updated!

4 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...


I don't remember her...but I wish her luck on that uh...big project she's doing.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Spike speaks said...

I don't remember her, either, JD! She definitely wasn't in the top 24. Oh well - good luck April! And thanks for posting this, JD!!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger J.D. said...

She was eliminated just prior to the Top 24.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Spike speaks said...

How DO you know these things, JD?!! LOL!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home