Thursday, June 21, 2007

Musical Ramblings' Biggest Loser

Alright, guys and girls. It's summer time. It's time to shed those pounds and get in shape. I know there are plenty of you out there who are, shall we say, expanding your horizons via your belt-line, and I know there are a lot of you Ramblers out there who would like to fight the battle of the bulge.

Personally, I'm ready for a change, as I have what doctors call a little bit of a weight problem. So, from here on out, this is the plan:

Five days a week I will do thirty minutes of cardiovascular exercise. That's Monday through Friday. I am taking the weekends off, because I need a reward as well as a relaxation, so my days off from work are also days off from exercise. Meals each day will be limited to a small breakfast, a small lunch, and a satisfying supper.

My wife is joining me in this effort (even though she's much more in shape than I am) so I would like to also get a lot of you guys involved as well. Each week we'll tabulate our progress and share with each other how much we've lost during the week. We can also share diet tips, exercise tips, and (if you wish) photos as we move along.

If you don't wish to post a comment here regarding your participation, you can still email me, let me know you're participating, and let me know your progress.

I'm considering a prize for the biggest loser. Any ideas?

8 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger J.D. said...

Today we started out walking 2 miles. Exercise walking, not casual walking. I'm feeling the burn!

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great JD! I'm proud of you. I'm a size 4 through being vegetarian and not eating ANY fast food EVER. Seriously, y'all - see Super Size Me - that stuff is evil. :)

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

j.d. dear,

you shouldn't have "a satisfying supper". you should be eating big for breakfast, so so for lunch and least for dinner.

it's just how your body works. you don't burn calories while you are sleeping right..

 
At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you JD! Weight control is important for everyone, but is especially important for someone with diabetes. I'll join y'all since I've been working on getting in better shape after gaining over 10 pounds during the winter. I've relost 6 pounds since May 1.

I've found that eating at least 4 very small meals works best for keeping my cravings under control. I think that Atkins and the South Beach diet have some wisdom about reducing the amount of refined carbs you eat. I try to eat whole grains whenever possible, and I now only take small servings of potatoes when I do eat them. Usually, I just have a piece of fruit when I wake up, and then about an hour later, something with whole grain and protein, like a grilled cheese sandwich. Then about 3 hours later, another piece of fruit followed by lunch an hour after that. I can do pretty well until evening, when things tend to fall apart more. I do think that spreading my eating out like that helps keep my insulin level more steady. I'm not diabetic, but if I eat much at one sitting, I think my insulin rises and triggers more hunger.

I do usually exercise for an hour a day. Since I don't have lots of time to devote solely to exercise, I just jog vigorously in place while I do some housework or watch TV. Here lately, I've tried to add in an extra half hour at another point in the day.

I work well for incentives like a prize, so I vote for a prize! Would you and Priscilla be able to win your own prize? :D

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome JD! Don't know if you found this yet... but http://www.sparkpeople.com/ is a kuel place to help keep track of calories and exercise and all... like MySpace for weight loss. I'm on there (thekytikat), but I need to be more proactive about my weight loss. I've done this before. Twice. The story is on my blog - http://www.yuriar.com/wp under the category of improving me (but watch it... I'm a girl, and there are lots of posts about girly things on there in that category... Don't say I didn't warn you! *S* )

right now I'm about 20 pounds heavier than my ideal, and about 35 heavier then doctors think I should be. Though, with my body type, if I get down to 155, I look like Nicole Richie. 170 is good for me. I look healthy at 170.

Good luck with your own journey.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Deborah said...

Good for you JD. I have been meaning to get off my lazy ever growing rump and walk every night. Just never happens. I with you and Priscilla the best!

Arts, you are always so inspired. No matter what you are talking about I learn from you.

I pledge to walk...three times a week, to start. I'll let you know how it works out.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Spike speaks said...

Good for you, JD! Looking forward to reading about your progress from week to week :-)

I'm back on-line at "Spike Speaks" so check out my latest musings.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job JD, my daughter and I have been committed to do cardio for 30 minutes each day. we've done pretty good. Had some incidental lag time but no damage done.

My goal is to be at my BMI by October.

Good luck to everone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home